Skip to main content

My traveling knitting

The last few weeks I've been working on this years sock stash.

I've finished four pair of socks that will probably keep my handmade sock assortment intact for another year. In fact, I threw the last store bought socks (except athletic) away.  I bought the yarnand planned to take it all with me on vacation. There was enough yarn for three pair, sure that would certainly suffice, especially when I'm the one that has said loud and clear at the yarn shop, "You might as well knit a sweater for as much work as a pair of socks are."

I used the “No Pattern Socks” from The Knit Girllls. But from the top down this time. I love this pattern because it is so easy and since I was traveling I didn’t want to have anything unnecessary - like a pattern- with me.

As I finished the first pair I realized I'd bought themed yarn! I present to you my vacation in socks...

HAWAII
Sand Socks:
Pattern: "No Pattern Socks"
Yarn: Paton Stretch Sock Yarn, 41% cotton, 39% wool, 13% nylon, 7% elastic
Colorway: Pumpkin Spice
Needle size: US 2
Lava Socks:
Pattern: "No Pattern Socks"
Yarn: Paton Stretch Sock Yarn, 41% cotton, 39% wool, 13&% nylon, 7% elastic
Colorway: Spumoni Stripes
Needle Size: US 2
Ocean Socks:
The Pacific Ocean was stunningly beautiful when we arrived and I couldn’t wait to get these socks knit to represent water. Why I waited to knit them last, I’ll never know - guess I thought the weather/sun wouldn’t change the entire visit! It was about this time that things began to "run amuck."
Pattern:"No Pattern Socks"
Yarn: Paton Stretch Sock Yarn, 41% cotton, 39% wool, 13&% nylon, 7% elastic
Colorway: Spearmint Jacquard
Needles: US 2
Stranded in Hawaii Socks:
I'd finished all my socks and there isn't a yarn shop or a skein of yarn to be had on the Kona side of the island! But during our stay I spent quite a lot of time listening to podcasts. I'm forever grateful for the podcaster that mentioned the sock pattern,  Stashbuster Spirals.  These socks use leftover sock yarn and with some modifications I was able to start another pair of socks which came in handy while we were stranded on the runway before taking off.
Pattern:"No Pattern Socks" with a twist "Stashbuster Spirals"
Yarn: Paton Stretch Yarn
Colorway: Pumpkin Spice, Spumoni Stripes, Spearmint Jacquard
Needles: US 2