Skip to main content

Gingersnap Bars

"The Chick That Flew The Coop" arrived Friday night. I wanted to have a treat for her but it proved to be a problem. Hubby and I have really tried to cut down on the goodies but the only way for me to cut down is to cut them completely out - not even potential ingredients can be residing in the house. (I love to bake but need others around to eat the product) When I began looking in the cupboards, there were no chocolate chips, The Chick doesn't like nuts, and very little sugar.

Then I remembered this recipe. It's tasty with little time or effort put into them. The Chick loved these chewy bars and asked that I post the recipe, a real stamp of approval!
Gingersnap bars in sight of the terra-cotta piggy (given to Mom from her sister, Merab)
Gingersnap Bars

Combine in bowl:
1 1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg
3 T molassas
3/4 t soda
1/2 t salt
1t cinnamon
1/2 t ginger
1/2 t cloves
Blend until dough forms. Spread in 13x9 pan. Brush with water and sprinkle sugar over top. Bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes. Cool, cut into squares.

Comments