Skip to main content

Gearing up for a great knitting season!

I've been busy with school and also some "fun knitting." I have two and a half Christmas sweaters to knit but for some reason I just keep putting them off and adding other new projects.  I "have good reasons" for doing that; new babies at school, and a double sister baby shower.

I just love knitting for babies. I think it's because the projects are little and you can experiment with yarns and patterns without much time or money invested.  Also, they wear the items without complaining! If Momma loves the item then the babies are in them until they wear out. I like to make the sweaters in at least a 12 month size because Momma can always roll up the sleeves if it's to big but can't stuff them into something to small - no matter how cute!

I started this b14-27 Jacket by DROPS Design after seeing it in the Prairie Piper's finished projects on Ravelry. It is very EZ like, the sweater is started at the button band, knit across the front, the body stitches are put on stitch holders and at that time stitches are added for the sleeve. The sleeve and yoke are continued around to the back where the sleeve is cast off and the body stitches are picked up once again. Then just knit across the back. The same instructions are done for the other sleeve and front. It is all done in garter stitch and is very beautiful in multi-colored yarns. I used yarn from my stash but an investment in other yarn would be worthwhile when I do this pattern again.
 I'm still working on this sweater because it is only knit during lunchtime at school. The students are very interested in it's progress - already it is an expectation that I am at my door, knitting in hand, as they come indoors for the afternoon. I love the comments, "What are you doing?", "What is it?",  "Are you STILL knitting this?", "Oh, you're on the LEFT sleeve now!",  "Who's it for? Suzy has a new baby sister..."

At home I've been working on baby shower gifts. Two sisters, Julie and Trish, are expecting babies a month apart and I'll be at the shower Oct 9th! I knit the blanket  -  testing a pattern for a fellow knitter at the LYS. It's been on display but now is the time to be gifted. The bunny turned out very cute, it's from Caron and is called One Skein Bunny. I like the safety button eyes and nose that I ordered online. I used Red Heart Yarn for this project for several reasons: I didn't want to spend $32 on yarn for a stuffed animal and it washes well.
Trish knows that she is having a boy and so I have a sweater done and will be to adding a bunny for her too!

Last night I started a quick sweater for a fellow worker's first grandson. He was born "90210" we all enjoyed that! I'm hoping to have it done and to her Monday, we'll see...

Comments

  1. Whatever yarn you're using for that baby jacket is very pretty! It's funny, I was knitting a swatch at school and one of the students commented after lunch "oooh, you've got a square coming!" He was very excited for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missed you at the Moss Mansion. I now love Lorna's Laces.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment