Skip to main content

Kids say the darndest things

When I was a very young girl, and there were only black and white tvs, there was a man named Art Linkletter who had a variety show during the day called "House Party". My mom would often watch it and I remember enjoying the section called, Kids Say the Darndest Things. 
Because I'm a teacher I often get a chuckle at school over the things I'm told. The latest story reminded me of Mr. Linkletter and his kids.

This week a boy in my class was relaying to me the sad death of his friend's dog as we were going to lunch:

"Mrs. G. my friend's dog died a few days ago. He had two dogs, Sunny and Joan. Sunny died and they took it to the vet. They disintegrated him...." The little guy was struggling here, using his hands to show me the small size that Sunny had shrunk to, and saying the word disintegrate over and over looking up at me not quite sure I was understanding the information he was relaying to me.

I put a two and two together and gently said, "Do you mean they cremated him?"

"Yes, yes.....they disintegrated him and put him in a yearn in the cupboard." Pointing to a high spot in the imaginary cupboard. "They bought a yearn for Joan to use later too."

I didn't have the heart to tell him that the word was urn. I'm sure that the family is doing a little yearning for old Sunny too.

Comments