Skip to main content

Wish we could just skip March 2020

I would have liked to just skip the month of March altogether but realize it just isn't possible. I think the month we have just lived through may have changed our lives forever...

While we were still in Hawaii, it seems very distant but was only a month ago, the Hawaiian news stations were filled with discussions of Corona Virus (yes, it had that name at the time). They had discovered their first two cases on the islands and were trying to be pro active. The population was told, among other things, to use hand sanitizer, wash their hands, to stay six feet away from others, and have two weeks groceries in their homes.  Just by following these "rules" we learned in Hawaii, we were already two weeks ahead of the mainland, shocking!

But as the mainland began to understand they weren't going to escape this virus we began to understand it was going to be a longer journey than just two weeks. I sent out some advice to the daughters and when the minimalist daughter used the emergency pantry grocery list and stocked up for three weeks the other two daughters began to sit up and listen! We were stocked up and sanitized before others took it seriously. However, our problem is we didn't hoard and it is obvious that social distancing, now for the most part sheltering in place, is going to last longer than we were originally warned.

One week into March, I went from a spry older middle aged lady to a very senior citizen! Friday it was 65-70 year olds with underlying health issues were to shelter in place. Saturday it was 60 years and above with underlying health issues. Sunday 55 and above while under lying health issues and Monday just 55 and above. Hmmm...

On March 9th our March 21st trip to Ireland went down the tubes. This was a trip my brother and I had hoped to take for years. I think at this point in the month he would have still gone but I just wasn't feeling good about traveling on a plane even though there was only one case of now Covid-19 in Ireland, so I called it and canceled the tour. Things at this point were changing so fast that two days later the president confusingly shut down international travel and tourists everywhere panicked trying to get home. Being out of the country and not being able to get home was a real concern Hubby and I had worried about. Happily, nephew was able to get home from Ireland a week later,  his semester abroad cut short. The college closed, students left the campus and he was stuck in his room for a week but he's now home. Our trip is currently on hold for up to 18 months and hopefully our world will be healthy once again and we can go.

So on Friday the 13th I decided it would be my last trip out "in the wild." I got up early and went to JoAnn Fabrics to stock up on quilt material for the foreseeable future. I was there when it opened,  with very few people shopping, and I practiced my social distancing.

While still at the fabric store, Hubby called and asked if I'd get two things at Costco, hamburger and chicken tenders for his beloved kitty. I told him the parking lot had been half full as I'd gone by and the store hadn't even been open - I didn't want to stop there. But as I finished the call a fellow customer looked at me and said it was only going to get worse and I should go. By the time I got there the parking lot was completely full and I had to park in a far off corner of the lot. Looking around, the lines were ridiculous and so it was turn around and go home or "in for a penny in for a pound."  I ended buying a couple of hundred dollars in Costco supplies but NO hamburger!
In a final shopping venture Hubby took I told him, among other things, to buy beans - lima, kidney, lentils, navy - whatever he could get. The only beans he could get were pinto beans... a 20 pound sack! I decided we aren't going to wait until we have nothing else to eat but this sack of beans so set about looking for a recipe and here is a pretty good meal:

Crockpot Beans
(adapted from Stephanie O'Dea Printables)

1 package Kielbasa sausage, diced
1 (30 -ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (15-ounce) can whole corn kernels
3 cups beef broth
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
   3 cups pinto beans, sorted and soaked overnight (or use quick-soak method below)

QUICK SOAK FOR BEANS:Put your dry beans into a large pot of water, and pick out any beans that float to the top. Cover, and  bring to a boil. Boil at a rapid pace for 10 minutes, then remove from heat. Keep the lid on, and let the beans soak in the hot water for 1 hour before rinsing.

 

Things continued to take a down turn and by Sunday, the 15th, I decided I was going to completely social distance myself so I texted the knitting group and told them for the time being I would be staying at home. That evening the governor cancelled school and the friends began to understand the severity of the situation. 

We've been staying home but walking in the outdoors when the weather is nice. Neighbors are waving but keeping their distance. I've tried to keep in touch by texting friends cute items I thought were amusing, although in a month might not be so funny:

We should all make a pact not to say anything.
If I come out of this quarantine with all my hair cut off, mind your own business!
 
 
The California Dreamin' crew set up Family Zoom Happy Hour every Friday evening and we've enjoyed the camaraderie of the family even though we are separated by hundreds of miles.

Comments