Skip to main content

Summer knitting

With all the genealogy my knitting has taken a hit I do have a few things to add to the blog but not the usual stash of items. As always there have been socks on the needles. Socks are just the easiest things to tote around, coffee with friends, camping, waiting for an appointment they're always handy in my purse. But this summer I got caught up in the baby blanket fiasco...

You may remember the cream colored baby blanket I knit earlier this summer. It is beautiful and was supposed to take 16 ounces of yarn. Because I have no idea who this blanket is for I wanted to use acrylic yarn and there was a sale on Caron one pound four ply. As I got closer and closer to the end of this blanket I realized there wasn't enough yarn, so off to JoAnn Fabrics I went.


(Sweet Pea Baby Blanket by Suzanne Middlebrooks
Yarn: Caron One POund
Colorway: Cream
Needle Size: US Size 9)

When I was there I decided to buy the one pound cream, which was way to much, and a lovely one pound peach for a second blanket, I really didn't want any partial skeins hanging around the stash and I thought by adding the new second color I could use all the yarn. The second blanket I decided to knit diagonally thinking I could gauge just how much yarn I was using and then at the halfway point begin decreasing and when the blanket was done I'd be out of yarn. Somehow my calculations were a little off. I had enough of the cream but ran short on the peach, so off to JoAnn Fabrics I went.

(Make a Long Story Short by Wanda Sowizdrzal
Yarn: Caron One Pound
Colorway: Cream, Peach
Needle Size: US Size 8)

When I was there I decided to buy the one pound of peach, which was way to much, and a lovely one pound grass green for a third blanket. I really didn't want any partial skeins hanging around the stash and I thought by adding the new third color I could use all the yarn. The third blanket I decided to crochet (crocheting uses more yarn) was going to be worked from bottom to top in rows so I could just keep crocheting row after row until I ran out.

(Granny Ripple Blanket by Very Pink Knits
Yarn: Caron One Pound
Coloryway: Cream, Peach, Grass Green
Hook Size: F)

Uncle!! I still have some of each color and WILL place it in my stash until next Stash Dash, At that time I think I'll buy several different colors in smaller amounts and crochet another Granny Ripple Blanket, hoping to break this vicious cycle.

Comments