Skip to main content

Busy summer with genealogy

It's been a while since my last post. I've been working hard on identifying over 700 of Hubby's family's photos. Most are from 1890 to 1935. This quest began the end of May when one of Hubby's cousins contacted me and asked if I knew who had the family photos.  I had many and invited her to come and look at them. However, when I started pulling them out I soon realized the treasure I had forgotten.  My mother-in-law was the last of 10 siblings and I believe when the last two siblings died their spouse gave her family photos.

Our work was cut out for us. Hubby digitized the photos and cleaned them up as best as possible. Then Dena and I have worked hard to identify people. I'm hoping the best way to share the photos is to post them on internet and so I've created a new blog:  Aztec Brewers.blogspot.com
Many of the original photos were taken by an unknown amateur photographer. There are other similar photos in the hands of a second cousin once remove but he has no idea who the photographer was either.

There is a photos of family, town citizens, and a local legend, Dr. William Wallace or "Navajo Bill"
Due to ill health William Wallace went to New Mexico and soon began doctoring the Navajo Indians. He was well thought of by the Navajo and at one time it was thought he might become the first white Navajo chief. He lived not far from the Brewer ranch in the 1890's.

This is a photo of  Hubby's grandfather. The uniform was a mystery. Grandfather was born to late for the Civil War and we didn't think he participated in the Spanish American War. Cousin Dena sent out an inquiry to a facebook group and within a half hour someone asked if he'd attended College at Fort Collins, Colorado. (I've been researching old newspapers and had found an 1900 clip which stated he was returning to San Juan County after attending Fort Collins, Colorado Agricultural College.) So after several decades the mystery was solved... Grandfather belonged to an organization at Fort Collins College very similar to ROTC!

At a family reunion over thirty years ago my mother-in-law and her sister took me aside and told me they were going to have a family member look alike contest and asked me who I thought would win. Without missing a beat I said the family member who looked most like Grandfather Brewer was Hubby...



We got in contact with San Juan Historical Society and the president was thrilled and wanted us to make a flyer for her monthly presentation. But few area citizens or family members have shown much interest.

Comments