Skip to main content

Royal wedding stirs Windsor memories

The recent royal wedding reminded me of my visit to Windsor Castle.

When Chloe A LittleBit was just a few months old she had a very tender tummy and was known for her burps and urps. The California Dreamin’ Family lived in London at the time in a flat with hardwood floors. There was a bath towel tucked in a corner which was used to mop up splats during the day and each night the floors were mopped for a fresh start the next morning.

I had been there for a week or so and the NorDak Couple (not a family at the time) arrived for a visit. There was a short overlap in our visit and we decided to visit Windsor Castle. We took a train and got off in the quaint little town overshadowed by the castle.

Troy was happily carrying Chloe A LittleBit in her baby carrier facing out to view the world for the first time. We walked through the town and made our way to the castle. What a beautiful place, room after room of beautiful furnishings and paintings. We entered the Throne Room and turned around and around in wonder. A beautiful throne, ceiling, walls and floor, when suddenly a LOUD burp echoed through the room! The three of us instantly twirled toward Chloe with hands out ready to catch anything being propelled from the culprit.  Miraculously it had only been a burp with no eruption! The look of relief on our faces must have told the story because the Palace Guard in the room began laughing. He told us he was a family man and knew just what we’d been feeling.

I was in awe as we walked through room after room with hallways a block long. After walking through one of these hallways lined with six foot portraits of long ago residents I saw a guard standing quietly near a doorway. I walked up to him and asked if the young princes were at the castle often. He nodded his answer. I continued, saying I felt the young princes were precocious enough to skateboard down the very hallways I’d just walked. The guard said, “Madam we are not allowed to talk about the Royal family but I will say The Queen is very solicitous of the young Princes.” and then he gave me a wink!

Comments