Skip to main content

California here I come

Although I missed ChloeALittleBit's birthday by a few days we still celebrated! She chose stuffed pasta for dinner and brownies and ice cream for dessert. Then we were off to the ballet. The Joffrey Ballet was performing in Zellerbach Hall at Berkeley and gave a wonderful performance. Although trained classically they perform contemporary dance as well. My exposure to ballet is limited and so I was a bit surprised at the contemporary aspect of the performance. My favorite was "Joy" where everyone was on their toes including the men in high heels shoes!
The kiddos had the week of Thanksgiving off from public school and so we had time to enjoy each other between working hard to complete homework, Chloe's ballet classes and both of their on line classes. The Pirate taught me to play the board game, Dominion and I even won a game or two!

For the last five years the California family have traveled to Southern Oregon to meet with The Oregon Family for a few days over Thanksgiving. They have found the nicest place to stay, Witt-Willow Ranch, totally off the grid and the owners meet you with a dozen eggs and a half gallon of goat's milk (just the best in your coffee or mueslix).

But before we left California there was some food prep for Thanksgiving Dinner. I volunteered to make my mom's infamous Cranberry Salad. Mom insisted on making this salad every year and over time I really have made fun of this concoction. First presentation -Thanksgiving. Second presentation - Christmas. Third presentation - New Years Day. Fourth presentation - in the garbage.
Mom's Cranberry Salad Recipe:
With NO "how to"'s! 

Mom used to grind the cranberries with a meat grinder.
I don't think they were cooked in any way. She just stirred the four ingredients together...
    ( I bought a can of cranberry relish instead and eliminated the sugar.)

My finished product wasn't as fluffy as I remember, so here is how I think Mom's salad preparation went down:

Mom: "11/2 cups of marshmallows - what will I do with the rest of the package?" - she then dumps the entire package of marshmallows into the bowl.

Mom: "Forget whipping the cream, just use Dream Whip."
           "How much is a 1/2 pint of whipping cream, whipped?"...
           "An entire tub of Dream Whip!"

When the ingredients were all mixed together Mom would put it into a Tupperware cake sized container and freeze it, pull it out and refreeze it, pull it out and refreeze it, pull it out and throw it away. But this year the last instruction proved totally unnecessary because the joke was on me..... THE FAMILY ATE ALL THE SALAD!

Hubby flew into Medford on Thanksgiving and then flew home on Sunday. Those kitties are well loved and get lonely so quickly!
We played a few games, read, knit and relaxed. It was fun to see how this part of the  family has spent their last few Thanksgivings together and how comfortable they are with one another.

Friday it was necessary to work a little of Thanksgiving Dinner off the waistline, especially knowing what was for dinner that night. The families share food and cooking responsibilities and did we eat well! Chloe and Joe make fabulous pies!


Comments