Skip to main content

Summer on the Montana prairie

As I usually do each evening, I sat down to watch the local news. Halfway through the newscast Bob McGuire announced that within the last 15-20 minutes a fire had started near our house. I hopped in the car to investigate.
It was close but could have been closer and within minutes planes were dropping retardant. Two hours into the fire Hubby texted me "On fire over ridge from house. Looks to be heading to interstate. Be ready to leave. Watch for the smoke column,"
I packed a bag with a few days worth of clothes, toiletries, my computer and charger, some extra sock yarn for nervous knitting, the NorDak daughter's China treat, and then dug out the cat carriers. Next it was time to gathered some family mementos.
 "The Antique" (NEVER to be left for kindling) a Christmas plate of my grandmother's from Germany so probably Great Grandparent Duis', The Hedges Bible, The Brewer Bible, a German book of my Grandmother's listing birthdays, coasters Dad brought back from the  Korean War and a cat my brother gave me years ago.
Cows my Dad made, Rosanna Fancher's tea pot, souviners from a trip to England and China, a Roseville vase Mom and Dad received as a wedding gift, books that were Maid Thomas', A childhood book my father received as a Christmas gift, Dad's stool he made when he was 12 years old and the rocking chair my mother in law received when she found out she was going to be a grandmother. (You can barely see the arm of the rocking chair)
Eight years of my journals, watches that were my father in law's, a shamrock plant my Dad grew inside the brass pot Mom bought at the Far and Away prop sale, my Great Grandmother Cheney's lace knitting needles.
Mom's mittens knit by her grandmother Jamison, a crocheted sweater knit for me by my Great Aunt Grace, and a kerosene lamp base owned by the Jamison's. (I decided to document this because should I need to gather things again in the future OR the girls want something more I'll have a ready list.)

Things began to calm down around 9:30pm and Hubby promised he'd call if I needed to leave during the night and at five this morning Hubby texted they were going to begin "mopping up." I haven't heard from him since so I'm unpacking the car and it's just another normal day in Montana.

Thank goodness for the firefighters!

Comments