Skip to main content

It's cherry picking season again!

Jo is on vacation and left me with the key to the cherry orchard. I've only been slowed down by the mail. Unfortunately, there is an ingredient in the pie filling recipe which is worth its weight in gold in our town - Clear Gel. Both Jo and I checked and no one in town has this valuable ingredient. They could order it - but so can we and while waiting for this item to arrive I made some outstanding Amaretto Cherry Jam.

Amaretto Cherry Jam

1 quart pitted cherries
1/4 cup Amaretto
1 t almond extract
2T bottled lemon juice
1 box pectin
Several drops red food coloring
Bring to a rolling boil and add:
4 1/3 cups sugar
Stirring, bring to a full boil and cook for 2 minutes more. Pour into sterilized jars and place in a water bath for 15 minutes

I had 12 pints of jam, and a gallon of pitted cherries marinating in Everclear in the refrigerator for ice cream sauce when the Clear Gel arrived. I went right to work and now have added 14 quarts of pie filling to the list.
It would be nice to have 7 more quarts of pie filling but I'm back to waiting for the Clear Gel. Next year I will be more prepared!

Comments