Skip to main content

A memory tucked into a corner

Steve, Bobby Beal and Dad
The stool in the bottom left hand corner of this photo has been around as long as I can remember. Dad made it in shop class when he was a kid. Perhaps he was 12 years old when he made it. This is a close replica of the conversation I had with Mom about its age:

"Where did we get the stool?"
"Your Dad made it."
"When?"
"In shop class."
"Wow, how old was he?"
"Oh, I don't know. About twelve I s'pose."

So it's forever been stuck in my brain that Dad was twelve when he made it.  Whether he made when he was twelve or seventeen, it is one of the few things that I have from his youth.
Jerry, (Dad) 15 years old
Once while visiting Mom and Dad after I was married, I spotted the stool with a new look. Dad had put a flat top on it and Mom had stenciled the top and sides. I wasn't at all sure I liked it, but now, it's nice to have a little of Mom's craftiness. It's also a nice place to place little items.




Comments