Skip to main content

Emma Duis (1897 - 1983)

A young Emma Duis
There were several photos of my Great Aunt Emma in the box that I received from my Aunt Verna recently. She was an "old maid" school teacher in Casper, Wyoming in the 30's until she retired.

When my Grandfather died, Mom told me that my Grandmother stayed in bed for three days until the day of the funeral. Grandma had no idea how she was going to take care of three children - Ruth, Jerry and Verna -  in the midst of the depression. Great Aunt Emma offered her home to the desperate four. They moved from Salida, Colorado to Casper, Wyoming. Grandmother kept the house and cooked until each of the three children graduated from High School in Casper.
1939
I wondered if there was anything out in cyberspace about Aunt Emma and so quickly "googled" her name. I was pleasantly surprised to see the following:

Memories of a great teacher
At age 83, I'm trying to write an article (that could become a book) about my fifth-grade teacher in Casper, Wyo., in 1937-38.
Her name was Miss Emma Duis at Jefferson Elementary School. She taught there throughout the 1930s, according to information I received from the Wyoming Historical Archives in Laramie.
Miss Duis was an amazing teacher who turned my life around. I'd gone to three different grade schools in three different towns in two different states during fourth grade. I hated school! Until Miss Emma Duis, who so loved learning herself that it was infectious. After a month in her class -- with all my raves about her at home -- my mother said, "It sounds like everyone is teacher's pet to Miss Duis." But she was by no means an easy teacher; each student was expected to achieve his or her highest potential.
An example of her encouragement showed up when we were to choose a Greek myth for a puppet show. Each one of us had to write a script, build our own puppet theatre, create our own puppets, and clothe them. My theatre/stage was a mess and almost fell apart on the way to school, but she complimented me on my script. Some of the boys built great theatres, and some of the girls created fine puppets as well as clothes for them. Everyone received an honest compliment and a kindly suggestion for improvement. I still love to read Greek myths and remember fondly my script for Orpheus and Eurydice.
Because of Miss Duis, I became a university professor and taught Masterpieces of Literature (from every continent, race, ethnic group, and language/in translation) for over 30 years.
I'm interested in hearing the stories of others in that 1937-38 class (I was Nannette Hope then), as well as from other students of Miss Duis.
 TribCom
Thursday, August 18, 2011

Comments