Skip to main content

Living at the end of the road

We live where we do because each day brings us such treasures....
Every time I drive up the hill into our subdivision and pass the "hanging tree" I experience the feeling of release and contentment knowing I'll soon be home.

The cares of the day literally just wash away as I drive by this spot. When I mentioned this spot and the feeling I get when passing by, my neighbor/coworker she just laughed and said, "It's by this tree isn't it? My girlfriend and I call it the hanging tree! It's where we hang all our cares and worries of the workday. We vow not to pick them up again until heading back to work in the morning." Such and appropriate name, and I've try to drop my worries at the "hanging tree" ever since. 
Our house is at the end of the road and it does have a few inconveniences but they're outweighed by the contentment we feel by living here. In the winter there's only Hubby and the man below us plow the snow from the road - we've never missed a day of work and always enjoy the solitude of a quiet snowfall. Because we live so far out of town there is no water service. We have tried to drill a well. We drilled over 300 feet into the ground but pumped up less than a gallon a minute. So Hubby stops by the "watering hole" and gets a load of water on his way home. Truly, not a big deal I boldly write and Hubby would - maybe - agree.
When we built the house all three girls lived at home and were told to be careful of their water use. No longer could they toss a lone pair of jeans into the washer just for the sake of style. No more 20 minute showers. No more running the faucet until the water was ice cold, use ice in the drink of water. Hubby and I must have done a great job because the girls haven't lived here for over a decade but they continue to be careful with their water use and have begun to teach their children to conserve the water as well.
This was evident last week when The Tiger wanted to take a bath, mostly to float a new Lego boat. His mom drew him a bath, about four inches of water total. The Tiger wanted more water but was given a firm no. He immediately asked, "WHY DIDN'T GOD PUT A RIVER HERE?"

I've wondered the same thing. If He had I'd be living in paradise!

Comments

  1. I feel the same way when I cross the Yellowstone River on the way to my house....the troubles of the day are on the other side of the river. Yep, it's a bit of a drive into town for errands but I try to plan my travels. And yesterday, the young buck deer was nibbling happily on my petunias on my front porch!!! That was, until Oliver discovered him...there was only a window in between them but boy deer left quickly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment