Skip to main content

A quick book review

When 60 Quick Knits, published by Cascade Yarns, arrived at my LYS the books flew out the door. We love to knit baby items and the charity knitters saw some real potential in the book. Personally, I'm always looking for a quick baby knit to give as a shower gift for coworkers and their new arrivals.  Then at our weekly gatherings I began to hear an under current about how this pattern was confusing or how another knitter had to "fudge" just a little to make it come together. I hadn't knit anything from the book but when my knitting friend Janet asked me to give a particular pattern a try I nodded and worked on it over the weekend so that I could give her a thumbs up or down.
 
In the end, the sweater worked out but I did see two problems with this individual pattern:

1. On page 22 inc row 2, the pattern tells you what to do for that row but does not go one to tell you that you then need to knit the next row. (It does on the other rows of instructions and so may be a little confusing for a novice knitter.

2. If you look at the photo vs. the instructions and drawing on page 22 the front opening is reverse 

I have also heard that there are problems with the Sweet Pea Cardigan, Criss-Cross Booties, Seed Stitch Yoke Cardi, and Pirate Hat. These problems can be worked through by experienced knitters but would cause real frustration for a novice knitter.

Sorry Cascade, but I'm giving this book a two thumbs down to my friend Janet. I hope that the second edition has some edits because I do love the look of the patterns and your yarn is the best.

Comments

  1. it's funny how I should come across your blog today. I am a novice knitter and am working on the seed stitch yolk cardi. Boy am I having trouble! I found the correction for the pattern for the yolk but I still don't understand how they get from 93 cast on stitches to 133. I'm not understanding k28 from holder.???? Can you help?

    Lucinda

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment