Skip to main content

Dear Emptyknitster,

I received a note from Lucinda after posting my review on the book 60 Quick Baby Knits:

 Lucinda writes...

it's funny how I should come across your blog today. I am a novice knitter and am working on the seed stitch yolk cardi. Boy am I having trouble! I found the correction for the pattern for the yolk but I still don't understand how they get from 93 cast on stitches to 133. I'm not understanding k28 from holder.???? Can you help? 

Dear Lucinda,

The seed stitch yoke cardi on the cover is the very reason that I bought the book! I love one piece sweaters and the little yolk on this sweater is adorable. 

The correction I found on the internet is: 

PAGE 92: Next row (RS) K 18 (20, 23) sts, sl next 8 sts to holder for right underarm, k 28 (32, 38) sts from holder for right sleeve, k 41 (47, 51) sts for back, sl next 8 sts to holder for left underarm, k 28 (32, 38) sts from holder for left sleeve, k 18 (20, 23) sts - 133 (151, 173) sts. 

This does appear to be correct which makes me think that it is the process of getting the sleeve stitches back on the needle that is unclear to you. I attempted to take some photos that will show you the stitch placement forming the yoke of the sweater:  

I assume that you have completed both sleeves and have placed 8 stitches on a stitch holder (or string) and have 28 stitches on another holder - these are going to form the yoke above the sleeve:


 
Pick up and knit 18 stitches of the body (right side facing you) and then place the next 8 stitches of the body on a stitch holder (or string):
 Then pick up a sleeve and knit the 28 stitches from the sleeve continuing the row of the body:
You will then knit the 41 stitches that form the back of the sweater:



Place the next 8 stitches of the body onto stitch holders and knit the next 28 stitches of the remaining sleeve onto the body. Knit the final 18 stitches of the front.
18 right side front
28 sleeve
41 body
28 sleeve
18 left side body
133 total stitches
Now you are ready to begin on page 92, line 8:
Beg with a purl row, cont in St st for 5(9, 13) rows. Work in garter st for 4 rows, then work in seed st for 6 rows.

You will graft the 8 (16 total) underarm stitches when you have finished knitting the sweater.

Lucinda, I hope that this gets you through your difficulty. I will be finishing this little sweater, and will post any other bumps in the road that I may see along the way!


Comments

  1. Enjoying reading your blog, but doesn't a sweater have a yoke?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm a novice knitter working on this sweater and I had the same difficulty. I think I finally get it - so glad you posted this with pictures!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment