Skip to main content

Spring knitting for the new arrival.

Last week I was delighted to hear - a fourth grade teacher at our school was having a G-I-R-L! Knitting for little girls is so much fun! My little gals aren't quiet so tiny anymore and lately all the babies at work have been boys.

I immediately started planning: 
  1. Pattern: Summer Chills Cardigan
  2. Yarn: Cascade Pacifica, 40% Superwash Merino Wool/60% Acrylic
  3. Color: Baby Pink  
I had been admiring this pattern for some time and I've just been waiting for the announcement of the arrival of a little girl. The babe in the pattern photo looks just darling! The sweater is knit in cotton yarn however, and I don't like knitting with cotton. It's not easy to knit and I don't feel like cotton is as durable as other yarns. Besides the baby is due in late August (hot, hot, hot, in Montana) and she will quickly need some warmth for the chilly fall days. Also, I don't know if this new little momma has an understanding of yarn and the care that each type of yarn may need so I decided to play it safe and use acrylic. I went to my favorite LYS and discovered a new type of yarn, Pacifica by Cascade Yarns. Oh, its so soft and cuddly! I fell in love... it knit up as wonderfully as it looks. It is my new "go to" acrylic blend! I had intended to buy a modern, bright color but instantly was attracted to the traditional soft baby pink, beautiful.
The sweater was started Friday night and I finished and blocked it last night. I love the sweater but the pattern wasn't clear in several spots. If you look at the sweater on the printed pattern the sleeves are in the lace pattern. The numbers on the needle didn't match the numbers in the pattern for the 12 month size. I quickly tired trying to work out the error and knit the sleeves in stockinette. I like the look and the solid sleeves will probably make it easier to slip the little darling's hands through.

One more comment, the lace pattern says to slip a stitch, K2tog, and psso (which if not clarified usually means to slip the stitch purlwise). I didn't really like the look of the psso stitch and next time I will slip the stitch KNITWISE for a smoother look. This is clarified on the matching hat but not on the sweater pattern.

Comments