Skip to main content

Mining for ancestors, and hitting the mother lode!


My great-grandfather owned a store in Virden, Illinois called G. P. Cheney and Co.. He moved his family to St Louis and ran a store for a short period of time before finally moving Lyons, Colorado in the late1880's. In Lyons he owned and operated a quarry. Tonight I did a little snooping on the internet and really scored!
 Grandfather and his family lived in Noland Precinct, Boulder Co. Colorado. My great-grandfather is listed as a stone dealer and Grandfather and his brother operated the quarry according to the 1900 Census. I began searching quarries in the area and added my grandfather's name. The search took me to a section at Denver Public Library filled with photos of quarries and miners that worked there. The very first photo is one of a group of men. The photo is entitled Noland Colorado Band, 1892.  (Correct names + correct area + correct occupation + correct era = MY Grandfather!!)
 There, in the front row is my grandfather and his older brother! My grandfather was about 18 years old when the photo was taken. 
 
This is earliest photo we now have of him and apparently he played a musical instrument! I only have two other photos of him so this is quite a find! Amazing what you can find on the internet.

Comments