Skip to main content

Going for the gold with Joan Benoit.


This morning we were honored with the presence of an Olympic athlete. Joan Benoit was the first gold medal winner in the woman's marathon at Los Angeles in 1984.

Joan Benoit told the students about how life has changed for girls in school. When she went to school there were no sports activities for girls and she had to wear a dress everyday except for "Field Day". This brought back memories for me. I too, had the same rules. The only “sports” that girls could participate in were dance or cheerleading. It wasn't until the year after I graduated high school in cold Montana girls were allowed to wear long pants to school – and never shorts.
 She spoke to the kiddos about finding what you are passionate about, setting goals, and then persevering. I sat listening and I realized how I’m going through this process right now as a grownup. I’m beginning to look toward retirement and lately I’ve been thinking about some new goals. I 'm pleased that the goals I’ve been planning ARE related to my passion – knitting. And how I can use this passion to connect to another interest of mine, genealogy and past generations in America.  After listening to Mrs. Benoit’s encouraging talk I know I am on the right track and hope I have the perseverance to follow through with the dream I’m beginning to nurture in the back of my mind.

Students were amazed to hear how times have changed, AND it is amazing to me to realize that when I was smack dab in the middle of great changes in woman's rights I felt that, “ It’s just the way things should be.”  Now I’m amazed that I didn’t feel the Earth shake under my feet. It was an honor to listen to this lovely lady speak. I walked away feeling pride over the past decades I’ve lived and with excitement for my passion, future goals, and ability to persevere.

Comments

  1. I went to the Pasta Night dinner with my Bozeman daughter Friday night to hear Joan Benoit Samuelson. We loved it! And daughter had a great 5 mile run and I had a super 2 mile walk yesterday. I'm so glad Lockwood got to hear Joan. She talked about it at the dinner!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment