Skip to main content

Two-three-four-five-six-seven-eight-nine pairs of sandals in one!

The NorDakPurl Gurl has been involved in Relay for Life for several years. In February her group has a silent auction to raise funds. This year The Purl Gurl called me, excited to have had a certain pair of sandals donated. "They're so cute! One pair of soles with several pair of tops to add!"

"Switch Flops!" I hooted over the phone! I knew that very moment I needed them, and The Purl Gurl was instructed to buy the sandals at any cost.

Last summer The California Dreamin' Gurl was visiting and we met her friend, Carrie, at Chico Hot Springs. Carrie's mom had sent her a pair of switch flops from Florida and we laughed until we cried over the name and sheer idea behind the shoes.The gal that invented them thought up the idea of interchangeable shoe tops to fulfill an assignment in a high school art class.

She is now a millionaire so the joke's on us.
Sure enough, I placed the high bid and the sandals were mine! It really wasn't much of a battle - remember, the silent auction was held in North Dakota in the middle of one of the worst snowy winters in history.

Today I wore my shoes for the first time and the teachers LOVED them. And by pure coincidence this ad was on the front page of today's paper:
 Never in my wildest dreams did I consider myself a trendsetter - even in Montana!

Comments