Skip to main content

Summer reading in February!

One of the great things about this vacation was just relaxing on the beach reading.
I packed Pillars of the Earth by Follett and lugged it on the plane across the country thinking that this one book would be my entire two week vacation read. I was off on my estimation and instead the book turned out to be only an eight day read. In hindsight quickly finishing a book shouldn't have been a surprise when reading is your only activity other than:
1) rolling over every 20 minutes to ensure an even tan
2) moving under the umbrella to avoid a burn 
3) dangling your toes into the ocean
If you like historical fiction, England, and books that span over many years of a medieval family's life, this read is a must.

I was glad to have finished any book. I hadn't read a book since summer, but there were 6 more sand filled days to go before we flew home, hmmmm... 
We were staying in a house that had a small bookshelf. While snooping, I hit pay dirt! At the time, I thought this book would be a nice little beach read but I soon realized I had made a very lucky choice. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Burrows proved to be an outstanding book. Staged shortly after WWII, the main character in the book begins correspondence with a group that was invented on the spot by Guernsey Island farmers and fishermen when they were caught drunk after curfew, by Nazi soldiers. As an author, the main character soon sees a storyline for a book and visits the island becoming totally immersed in the islanders lives. A truly enjoyable book about some very trying times.
I now was down to 4 sunny days remaining on the island and again no book to read. So back to the bookshelf I went! I was lucky yet again. The Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton is a story about five young mothers who meet in a San Francisco park while carrying for their kiddos. Even with very different personalities and backgrounds the ladies become friends. This story is an accurate peek into the lives of women and moms in the 60's.  I liked the book so much, I've already bought a fresh copy and wrapped it up for a friend's birthday!
Finally, I returned to the little bookshelf. When there were six days and then four days left of my vacation I had avoided Standing in the Rainbow by Fannie Flagg only because it is a rather long book. Now there were only two days left and I was forced to pull it off the shelf. I have read some of Fannie Flagg's books: Fried Green Tomatoes, Welcome to the World Baby Girl, Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man.  I enjoyed these three books and so I reluctantly made the decision that I would read this book and if it wasn't completed before leaving, Pillar's of the Earth would be left on the little book shelf as a trade.

PS. - The five pound book is now residing on the bookshelf in Hawaii!

Comments