Skip to main content

Happy Halloween

Halloween was a major event when I was little. Absolutely NO store bought costumes for us!
1960 Halloween, Judy, Steve and Mike      
I ran across this photo recently and even though it is in black and white I remember the clown costume my brother Mike had on was in orange and black and the flowers in my Hawaiian outfit were rose colored. The muu-muu at one time had been curtains, Mom had the ability to take a few snips in the fabric and sew a few stitches, making even a set of curtains into something else.
When we lived in Seattle we would Trick or Treat the houses on our block and the one block below us. Often the treats were full size candy bars. But when we moved to Butte we were astonished to find out  teenagers were allowed to knock on doors, the use of pillowcases was standard, and entire sections of town was acceptable territory for Trick or Treating.  The first year we lived in Butte I remember Dad going to the grocery store for emergency candy.

Sadie Lou Who sent me a letter this week. On the front is a lovely Halloween scene and on the back Sadie wrote a very nice letter, she wished she could go Trick or Treating at our house. I had to laugh, really she doesn't want to Trick or Treat our neighborhood - in the 15 years we have lived here, we have never had Trick or Treater! We truly live at the end of the road! We used to prepare for visitors but now we might bring home a favorite candy bar or two knowing that they will be eaten by us.
Letter written by Sadie 2010.

Comments