Skip to main content

"Just like Mom used to make."

There was a short period of time when Hubby and I were going together that we lived across the state from each other. Absence did make the heart grow fonder and we traveled back and forth often to see one another. While on the phone planning a visit I asked hubby what he would like for dinner upon his arrival. He wanted chili and cinnamon rolls. I really wanted to impress him with my cooking ability so I soaked the beans all night, simmered the chili all day, and I made cinnamon rolls from scratch. When he arrived after a six hour drive on the cold, snowy winter roads there was a bowl of chili waiting for him.

I really wanted feedback so I asked the question I have since learned to avoid at all costs: "How do you like dinner?"

His answer was, "The chili and rolls are fine but not as good as Mom makes."

My feelings were hurt but the next time I saw her, I asked if she would share her recipes. Being the sweetheart she was, she naturally gave them to me. They are as follows:


Chili
Brown 1lb of burger
Add dehydrated onion
Open a can of tomato sauce, two cans of kidney beans and add to meat
Add some Chili powder
Simmer on low heat


Cinnamon Rolls
Get in the car, go to Albertson's and buy a dozen rolls.

Since the Chick flew the coop, I haven't had anyone to get feedback from. So when I tried a new cake recipe and asked Hubby how he liked it, I admit that there was a lapse in good judgement.

"The cake is as good as Duncan Hines Super Moist Cake." (Yea! JUST like mom used to make!)
"And the frosting is better than container frosting." (HOMERUN!)

So, with those recommendations see what you think!
Peanut Buttery Chocolate Cake
Cake:
Cooking spray
2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
1 cup brewed coffee, cooled to room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Frosting:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons 2% reduced fat milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Miniature chocolate chips (optional)
Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a 13 x 9-inch glass baking pan with cooking spray.
2. To prepare cake, sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
3. Combine oil and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Using a mixer, beat at medium speed until well combined. Add eggs; beat well. Add flour mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating well after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl. Stir in the coffee and vanilla (batter will be thin).
3. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
4. To prepare frosting, combine cream cheese and peanut butter in a large mixing bowl. Using a mixer, beat at medium speed until smooth. Add powdered sugar, milk and vanilla; beat until smooth. (If frosting is too thin, add more powdered sugar; if it is too thick, add more milk.) Spread frosting over top of cooled cake and sprinkle with chocolate chips, if using. Store in the refrigerator. Serves 16.


Nutritional facts per serving: 350 calories, 18g fat, 5g protein, 49g carbohydrates, 1g fiber, 350mg sodium.

Comments

  1. This post had me cracking up. For my husband's first birthday that we were a married couple, I wasn't working and had a lot of time on my hands. I scoured my cookbooks to find a extra special cake recipe. I couldn't decide on one so I finally just asked "I can make you any kind of cake you want for your birthday. What would you like?" His answer? "I want an ice cream cake from Dairy Queen." When I told my in-laws about this, my father in law laughed and said "Just like mom used to make." Needless to say, my mother-in-law isn't known for her cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds (and looks) delicious!! My next cake will be a pirate ship--but it looks like this one will be in the near future too!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment