Skip to main content

A blast from the past, far out man!

Growing up my mother always sewed my school clothes. Beginning in August she would find patterns and material and then proceed to sew five new dresses all month long. Gathered skirts, Peter Pan collars, little vests to go on top, and sashes to tie into bows. The week before school we would go shoe shopping and I would get a new pair of saddle shoes – the choice I had was: black and white, or cream and brown. In the spring I would get a new Easter/Sunday School/party dress out of a sheer flocked material. At this time I’d also get my one and only pair of patent leather shoes for the year. (By Christmas they were usually tough to squeeze into) My friends and I loved birthday party days because those were the only days we could wear the lovely party dresses to school! I was one of the nicest dressed girls in my grade!

In high school she continued to sew for me. I babysat a lot (for 50 cents and hour) and I knew I could get more bang for my buck if I bought the material and patterns and Mom sewed the dresses. Mom used me to her benefit as well, she didn’t really like to cook so we struck a bargain: I would cook dinner so that she could continue sewing on the outfit through the afternoon. We both ended up happy!

I wish that I could have saved the little dresses and outfits through the years but Mom viewed them as something to cover me NOT as showing off a skill that she had. Usually after wearing the five dresses once a week all school year AND being a growing young girl, the dresses were pretty much done for anyway!

When I got my first “career job”, at the Savings and Loan, Mom made me several outfits for my birthday. I have bits and pieces of the outfits, polyester mostly, but there is one top that I love and still wear! I now call it my “Hippie Top” although at the time it was much to nice for a true Hippie!

Comments

  1. Your growing up almost mimics mine completely....my mom sewed all my clothes, I got school shoes and at Easter, I had the flocked fabric dress, too! I also babysat for 50 cents an hour!
    The difference is that mom then taught me how to sew and by high school, I was sewing all my own clothes...which may explain my lack of cooking talents!
    One remarkable story...my mom's mom was a great seamstress too and made her grandaughters (me) these little dotted swiss sundresses. Then, when I had my 2 girls, Grandma made them the same identical sundresses, same fabric with lacy edging. I still have those! Sorry I went on so long. You brought back a flood of memories.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment