Skip to main content

Warming up the tummy.

Tomorrow the grade level is having a birthday lunch for Kimmy. I volunteered to bring a pot of soup and I know that they will be asking for this recipe. I've made it for years, especially for a lunch. It's a meal that the grandkiddos will eat up! This recipe was originally touted as a great snowy day soup that has very simple ingredients.
 Pot Luck Soup

2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon butter
1 medium onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, diced
1 carrot, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 can ( 35 oz) Italian plum tomatoes
3 - 4 cups chicken broth, or vegetable broth
1/3 cup dried lentils
1/4 cup dry red wine
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup chopped parsley

1. Place the oil and butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Add the onion, celery and carrot; cook stirring, until the vegetables are wilted, about 15 minutes. Add the garlic and cloves during gthe last 3 minuted.
2. Puree the tomatoes with their juices in a blender and add to the saucepan. Add the broth and lentils and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium; simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.
3. Add the wine (I don't), season to taste with salt and pepper, then simmer gently for 20 minutes more. Stir in the parsley and serve immediately.

Serves 4. Per serving: 240 calories. 31 g carbohydrates, 9g protein, 10 g fat, 10 mg cholesterol.

Comments

  1. ooooh. This looks like a great recipe. I've had a bag of lentils sitting around and I was wondering what I would do with them. They're calling for a ton of snow again and this looks like it will make for a great winter day supper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lentil soup! This sounds like a recipe I will like. I think I finally managed to post a comment:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment