Skip to main content

Olympics 2010

"Swifter, Higher, Stronger"

I'm just beginning to understand what the participants at the Olympics are going through. Weeks ago I signed up for Knitting Olympics - the unfinished objects division.

Last March I started a Gansey Sweater for my nephew's Christmas gift. It's knit on size 2's (a small size needle for anything but a baby sweater or socks).  This sweater style is coveted on the British Isles for its warmth and resistance to the dampness that the island is known for. Within two weeks of starting the sweater, it had wrought havoc on my left wrist, arm and then up into my neck! I finally had to put it away and knit on other items. In November, when all my Christmas knitting had been completed, I lightened my knitting load and let the arm rest.

When the Knitting Olympic opportunity came up, I felt I was ready for the challenge. The opening ceremonies began last Friday and I pulled out the half knit Gansey and begin. In the original two weeks last March, I had completed the front entirely, and the back up to the armholes. So during the openiing ceremonies I began the last half of the back.

Like all Olympic athletes, I thought I was a real contender for the Gold Medal!

This first week of the Olympics I've finished the back and the collar but not without problems... the "reoccurring injury" is back. As suggested by various "coaches",  I've rotated knitting on another project with larger needles, done exercises every half hour, taken ibuprofen, used a heated rice pad, and have finally resorted to knitting for a half hour and stopping for a half hour to let the arm rest.
 The injury is with me once again. I don't think I can medal, but I can't give up. In every event there is someone that gets a good butt kicking - this time it's me! But just being a small part of a larger picture inspires me to forge on - limping row by row to the finish line!

Comments