Skip to main content

Remedy for a chest cold.

Years ago friend and fellow teacher, Kathy W., sang the praises of this mustard plaster recipe. I was ill several times with a chest cold before she could persuade me to give it a try. Perhaps it was the Vicks Rub or just the comfort of the heating pad but I think it works!

Today one of our first year teachers came to work with a horrible chest cold. I promised to give him the recipe but I wonder how many times he will get sick before he tries it!

Mustard Plaster

1 part baking soda
2 parts dry mustard
3 parts flour................................mix these three things with water to make a paste

Layer on chest: Vicks, then the plaster that is sandwiched between a tea towel, and on top of it all a heating pad.

Check every 5 - 10 minutes, as it could burn your chest. Stay out of drafts. (the combination really heats things up and your chest pressure is eased)

Comments

  1. I can attest to this very effective treatment! I too did not try it until I was desperate for something, anything that would help my horrible cough. Mom, through my incessant coughing, gave me the recipe over the phone. I mixed it up and AMAZING!!! It now has a place reserved in my recipe book. Thanks again Mom :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment