Skip to main content

Montana weather, just like old times!


What a strange day from start to finish. It's cold, I mean really cold today, we woke to the weatherman telling us that it was 22 degrees below zero. But when hubby looked at our thermometer at our house, it was 5 below, hmm...As I drove down the hill into town, the thermometer in the car began to drop, -10, -16, -20, and finally upon my arrive at school, -23 degrees. What an interesting lesson on: "What an Inversion Can Do"!

Once at school, I was met with the announcement that 5 of the 12 buses were not running! As teachers began arriving they all had different stories, buses stranded at the side of the highway, in parking lots and one bus was even stalled in the middle of the busiest street in town. For you California or Oregon people, diesel doesn't like the cold - it turns to jelly. However, within about twenty minutes things got better and all but one bus was up and running They were able to make a run though their routes and pick up any stray kiddos. Interestingly,  I ended up with all but one of my students today.

But then at approximately 11:30 the administration was told that buses would not be running in the afternoon to get the kids home! WAIT A MINUTE!!?? I've heard of year round school but 24 hour school - not what the kiddos signed on for! Fortunately the school had the ability to make bulk calls to inform parents of this crazy turn of events. So the call went out and all the office phones within the district began to ring...and ring...and ring. I haven't mention our FABULOUS secretary before but Mrs. Jess is just that - we love her!!

Okay, so things were in motion. The kids were going to stay in their classrooms after school until parents picked them up.  I was hoping (and praying) that the kids had been as good after Christmas as before when there had been presents in the offing. If the Christmas spirit had rubbed off and they'd reverted back to regular behavior I might have these cherubs all night!

But wait.....NEXT, the bus transit service called back to say that they were calling off the calling off of bus service (just had to write that). So there would be bus service after all! Bulk calls went out once again to let the parents know: Good, bad, or ugly, your kiddos are going to be home tonight!

I hopped in my car this afternoon, it started, and when it had warmed up, off I went.




And just down the lane - Windyridge!
It's currently 0!
I do love a good adventure!

Comments