Skip to main content

Distantly related to Sadie Lou Who.

Last night NDpurlgurl called and we had such a nice visit. I told her that I’d missed the updates on her blog. I do love to see the little ones and to have her check in every few days so I know what's going on in their neck of the woods. Then I realized, I hadn’t added to my blog for almost as long!

My Sadie Lou Who received a hand painted tea set for Christmas. It was a beautiful set. I remembered that I have, carefully packed in a box, two little tea sets that were my mother's when she was a child. I played with them when I was little and they gave me many happy hours of enjoyment. I displayed them for many years in a small cabinet before packing them away.




The green transparent set is depression glass from Agate Company."The Akro Agate Company produced a wonderful collection of dishes for children out of slag and glass in the depression glassware era of the 1930's and 1940's. These vintage tea sets are a wonderful treasure. The Agate Company was founded in Akron, Ohio by George T. Rankin and Gilbert C. Marsh in 1910; By 1911, they registered their trademark of the crow clutching a marble in each talon and one in its beak as it flies through a capital letter A. Known for the making and selling of marbles the company began sales of sets of children's dishes...miniature versions of tea sets and dishes. The sales were not good at first due to cheaper versions being available from Japan, but as World War II gripped America in the 1940s, the import of Japanese products ground to a stop. This opened the market to Akro Agate and the sales of their children's dishes jumped." (taken from collecting on ebay) My mother would have be the appropriate age for these dishes in the 1930's. These dishes have ridges vertically around them,making them rather unique. There is a teapot with lid, a cream and sugar bowl (no lid), one tea cup with two saucers, and two dishes.

The other set is pottery and made by the Gold Castle, the company also made lusterware.



I could find no information on these dishes. There are five dishes, four tea cups, three saucers, one tea pot with a lid, and one sugar bowl (no lid and a broken handle)

I started a sweater for Sadie Lou Who last weekend. It is a sweater pattern called Rambling Rows and I was interested in it for a couple of reasons. First, Creative Cottages provided me with an outstanding sweater last year, called the Wonderful Wallaby. Another reason I wanted to try the pattern was I like that it is sized from toddlers 2 to adult 42 . If it was a good solid pattern, I could use it for many years.

Before knitting one for myself I decided to try it out on a smaller version. I’m glad I did. It’s an “all right” sweater and I won’t frog Sadie Lou Who’s, but I’m not going to make one for myself. This is a disappointment because I so loved knitting the six Wonderful Wallabies. I had been so sure that Cottage Creations would also provide me with a wonderful pattern in Rambling Rows…

I can just see Little Sadie Lou Who in a pair of jeans, white shirt and this sweater!

Pattern: Rambling Rows
Yarn: James C. Brett Marble Chunky

Amount: 3 skeins = 1023.0 yards (935.4m)
: Jeweltone 08

Over Christmas I made a salad that I hadn’t thought of for many years called Pacific Lime Salad. Sadie Lou Who was the only member of the family, besides myself, that loved it. She asked her mom to get the recipe!

This recipe came from my mother in law. When Hubby and I were first married, we lived in Missoula while he was going to college (Go Griz). Many Sunday afternoons were spent with his mom. She would often fix us supper. The meal would usually be ham, potato salad and the pacific lime salad. She was such a thoughtful and kind lady. Although we all were working, she was always looking out for others – ie one tired daughter in law!

So Sadie Lou Who here is your salad recipe!

Pacific Lime Salad - 6 servings

1 pkg (3oz) lime jello
1 c boiling water
1 c cottage cheese
1/2 c mayonnaise
1 (9 oz can) crushed pineapple
1/4  c chopped nuts

Dissolve Jell-O in boiling water. Add juice from crushed pineapple can. Chill until slightly thickened. Beat until frothy. Fold in pineapple, cottage cheese, mayonnaise, and nuts. Chill until firm.

Comments