Skip to main content

Christmas Cactus

Six years ago one of my students, John Sweet, gave me a Christmas Cactus that came from the mother plant owned by his Great-great grandmother. His great-great grandmother had taken it across the prairie in a covered wagon on the Bozeman Trail. John's mother had never been able to get it to bloom....This year I was able to get a few blooms. I believe that the plant needs to be root bound, and have extended amounts of darkness in the fall.

The Sweet brothers lived up to their names. John's older brother, Steve, was also in my sixth grade class and had the nickname of Sweetie Pie.The last time I visited with Steve, we enjoyed catching up with what was going on in his life and he had promised to come and visit me for a more lengthy visit. Just weeks later he tragically died.

Comments