Skip to main content

The old school desks...

I went to elementary school in Seattle and attended Gatewood in West Seattle. I can remember the teachers: 1st grade Mrs. Mayors, 2nd Mrs. Gallerson, 3rd Mrs. Lee, 4th Mrs. Rich, 5th Mrs. Mitchell, 6th Mr Nuchwander. Gatewood School is a three story brick school that is now listed as a historical building in Seattle and educates around 250 students a year. The basement held the kindergarten, and first grade classrooms. The main floor held the second and fourth grades, the third grade was in the "portables" and fifth and sixth grades as well as the library were on the third floor.I couldn't wait to get into third grade, I didn't care who taught me that year, I just wanted to get into the portables and have one of the old fashioned desks! This is the first time that I can remember admiring an antique! I now use a set of these desks as end tables in my TV room.
Mrs. Lee had a daughter in college that had traveled to Mexico and so we studied about the country and made little brightly painted piggies out of clay.

The items on the desks are authentic, Dick and Jane books from my early teaching years at Shepard, a slate and school bell that Hubby found for me in Washington DC, and a pair of wire rimmed glasses that were my mother's first pair of specs when she was a little girl.

Comments