Skip to main content

Butte Pasties



When I went to Butte High School, I would walk by Gamer's Bakery everyday on the way home. It was the closest thing that Butte will ever have to a tearoom. Carl owned and ran Gamer's. He wore a bow tie and greeted everyone that came into the bakery as if they were a long lost friend. Carl made me feel like I was his most wanted and important customer - even as a teen. Hubby reminded me that Carl didn't use a cash register. He would take the money from you when the bill was paid and pull out a wad of cash from his pocket if you needed change.

I was introduce to pasties at Gamer's. They are the BEST pasties on the face of the Earth! I thought that Gamer's had closed when Carl died but was delighted to find out they are still operating and at the same location, 15 W. Park. We stopped by recently and the pasties are every bit as good as I remembered from my childhood. If you are in Butte DON'T leave town without trying this copper miner's lunch!I'd like to say that Carl personally gave me the pasty recipe I have and perhaps it's true - because years ago, on the back of the menu was Carl's pasty recipe. I copied it down and have used it for years. The family LOVES pasties! Don't you think I should share?

Butte Pasties
- serves 6

1 lb sirloin tip
3 potatoes
3 green onions
salt and pepper

4 cups flour
1 cup lard
1 oz butter
2 teaspoons salt
pinch of baking powder

Cut shortenings into flour and add enough cold water to make stiff dough. Divide into 6 balls and roll out to 1/8 inch thick, about the size of a saucer. Put in filing - moisten around the edges and press 1/2s together.

Brush with mixture of 1 egg and 1 tablespoon, beaten.

Make steam holes. Bake 375 degrees, 1 hour.

Serve with brown gravy.

Comments

  1. Thanks so much for posting this! And the Buckhorn Exchange Soup recipe too! I grew up in MT and am living in CO... These are some of our favorites and excited to make them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment