Skip to main content

Farmer's Market and "I fought the Law and I Won..."

I was finally able to get to a Farmer's Market today! Jo and I got up early and "headed into town". The atmosphere was upbeat and casual. Just strolling around the downtown streets, looking at all the healthy plants and fruits and vegetables that people have put so much effort into, is a delight.

I always go through the entire market and then head back to my favorite Hutterite stand. Their produce is excellent and I love to listen to the ladies with their German accents as they sell me items.The Billings Youth Orchestra were playing Vivaldi, OUTSTANDING! They did an excellent job, everyone enjoyed the music and it was a lovely addition.There was quite a crowd at the market this morning. But we're in Montana and so I always see a few people that I know, fellow teachers, friends, or both - teacher friends, and family ....Oh, my brother and his wife!We enjoyed our shopping trip.

And then:

School is beginning Monday, and the construction around our community is EVERYWHERE. On our trip home from farmers market, Jo and I decided to try to find an alternate route to work. We were able to accomplished this with ease. We now have a "Route A" and a "Route B" to school. But, because I'm basically a very nosy person I opted not to retrace my steps, and I circled around so that I could see what the local firemen were doing at the bottom of a hill. Thus, the beginning of my trouble.

Now during the school year, I drive down this hill everyday and I know that you quickly pick up speed even without having your foot on the gas pedal. I've sped down it and slammed on the brakes as I spotted an officer of the law, I've even had a sheriff shake his finger at me as he drove by. But, today I was interested in what the firemen were doing NOT the oncoming sheriff. Damn, he turned around and put on his lights. Right there in front the the firemen! I just had to keep going for a little ways before pulling over, any one of those firemen could have been Hubby and I didn't want him watching as I got my first ticket!

If you know me, you know my history with the law. I'm not a perfect driver - I have a perfect driving record - but I'm not a perfect driver. Today I pulled over and did what I do when I get stopped by an officer. I'm cooperative.. NOT what Hubby says.

...well, once I was pulled over for having expired plates on my car and I put on my Southern Belle hat and said, "But officer, my husband takes care of that sort of thing". (I've hated myself for it ever since!)

...and I was stopped by the city police and I rolled down the window, batted my eyelashes at him and said, " You're not going to give me a ticket for going 37 in a 35 mile per hour zone, are you Officer?" The officer's reply was, "Ma'am you were going 39 in a 25 mile per hour zone."

...or when I was stopped late at night when I was going to pick up one of the girls from an out of town sporting event. I did a "California stop" at an intersection instead of a full stop. Twenty minutes later I had the daughter in tow and gave him a happy little flash of the headlights - and he responded in kind!

...and then there was the time when... Well, you get the drift.

Today I rolled down the window and admitted to everything. If you know you were speeding, why lie?

In my mind I kept hearing my mother say, "Someday Judy, you are going to get your due, you can't keep dodging these tickets with your charm and sweet smile forever." ie.: "When you get old you'll get a ticket!"

The officer asked to see my license, title, and insurance.

When I gave him my license he looked at it and said, "Boy, you don't look the same." ALRIGHT BUDDY! Look, LOOK at the date on the license. This license is nine years old - almost a decade, I'm up for renewal!!! ("OH MOM," I thought, "HOW RIGHT YOU WERE!")

But I poured on the charm just like the old days! We talked a little, bantered back and forth, and from the officers lips came the hoped for comment, "I'm going to give you a warning!"After I dropped Jo off, the "Golden Oldie" radio station was playing, "I Fought the Law and the Law Won".......well, fellas not today!

Comments