Skip to main content

Lazy Summer Afternoons

The weather is getting warmer and there is no better way to spend a summer afternoon than with a good book, in a shady spot, with something ice cold to drink. I had forgotten how fun it is to go to the public library and browse through the shelves of books. Sandra Dallas' book Buster Midnight's Cafe was recommended to me but as luck would have it, three other books were there but no Buster Midnight's Cafe! I decided to check out the books on the chance that they would be an "ok" read.

The first book I read, The Diary of Mattie Spencer is just that, the diary of a pioneer woman that travels with her husband to Colorado to homestead - a great summer read!

Now, on to the second book Alice's Tulips. As I picked this book up and thumbed through it I realized the entire book was written as letters to the main character's sister. I was a bit put off, a diary, letters, had Dallas come up with a formula for her books? Were they to similar to be interesting? Just a few pages into this book and the reader is completely caught up in the story. The main character, Alice, struggles to survive on a farm with her mother-in-law while her husband is away fighting as a Union soldier in the Civil War.

.


The last book in my possession at this time, New Mercies, is set in the South during the depression. The main character has inherited the old family plantation from her Aunt. An aunt that has been murdered. I must admit that I'm only a third of the way through this book but I'm enjoying it enough to post them on my blog and recommend the three to anyone that loves historical novels and a good read. Soon I'll be off to the used book store to find other books Sandra Dallas has written!

Comments

  1. I JUST finished her book, Tallgrass, and will recommend it as another great Sandra Dallas read. I am off to the library on Monday to see if I can get my hands on a few more of her books. I am glad that you set my sights on this author!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment